Entertaining can seem a complex and challenging undertaking. Planning and executing an event can, however, be very simple if one takes the time to think of everything and to plan well. The following considerations will guide you through planning any event.
Whether your dinner party guests number eight or one hundred, the requisites for a successful party are the same. They are:
- Guests who are congenial.
- A menu that is well planned and suited to your guests’ tastes.
- An attractive table with everything in perfect condition: linen pressed, silver polished, glassware sparkling.
- Food that is well prepared.
- Servants (if you have them or are hiring for the evening) who are competent and pleasant.
- A gracious and cordial hostess and host who are welcoming and at the same time enjoy their guests.
~ Emily Post’s Advice for Every Dining Occasion by Elizabeth L. Post.
Ms. Post’s advice in this, as in so many other areas, is sound. I will, however, add two topics of consideration: the Occasion and the Venue. In addition, one’s budget should be determined before-hand and should be a guiding force in the planning process.