NOTES ON PLANNING
The following is a brief checklist of the essential points of event planning. Plan for each item and nothing will be left undone. Always plan for more time than you think you will need – something will inevitably go wrong or take longer than you anticipate.
General Event Considerations:
- Occasion or theme
- Number of guests
- Time of event
- Types and number of tables necessary
- Activities (i.e. dancing)
Food & Beverage Consideration:
- Number and type of courses to be served
- Style of service (i.e. butler service, buffet service)
- Dietary restrictions?
- Preparation restrictions?
- Beverages and beverage service (i.e. cocktail hour)
- Create a detailed menu
- Type of service (plated, family style, buffet, etc.)
- Table coverings and décor
- Serving Bowls/Platters
- Serving Utensils
- Place settings:
- Dinnerware (plates, bowls, etc.)
- Place cards (optional)
- Setting the scene: cleaning, setting up furniture, lighting candles, starting the music, etc.
- Setting the table
- Preparing the food and beverages
- Getting ready